Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tomma Abts

Tomma Abts is an artist who I chose to be my inspiration for the background of a painting I am working on.  I chose to use her paintings because I enjoy her use of geometric figures and the color scheme that she combines so effectively.  She has a great eye for balance and composition, which I try to portray in my own work.

Tomma Abts was born in Keil, Germany in 1967.  She know lives in London, England.  Her work is fairly small in size but conveys a concept that is very effective and understood by all.  Her work is of tightly painted systems of interlocking parts.  She begins working without any pre-determined design. She lets the work come alive as she layers shapes and colors, letting the form build up over time.

I usually like to have some idea of what my work is going to look like, but I used randonly drew shapes on my cavas and began painting without much idea what I was planning on it looking like until I approached my blank canvas. I am currently in the process of completing my Tomma Abts inspired work, but I believe I successfully achieved her concept and her approach to her art.

No comments:

Post a Comment